Drakensberg horse trails are an experience that you will remember
A trip to the Drakensberg or Natal Midlands without sitting on a horse is somehow a wasted opportunity. The Drakensberg Mountains and rolling hills of the Natal Midlands just offer so much horse riding possibilities and horse related enjoyment.
- Antbear Horse Trails. We offer horse trails right here on the farm and are particularly suited to beginners. Generally we find that an hours ride is perfect for beginners but any length trail can be arranged. The rides here are safe and slow, so experienced riders may find better options listed below but plenty of experienced riders have enjoyed what we offer. By arrangement, the Antbear Drakensberg Lodge riding lessons for beginners.
- Antbear Horse trail picnic lunch package
Out rides are approximately 1 hour. After the horse trail we invite to you have lunch on the deck of the lodge or we can provide you with a picnic basket to have lunch on the lawn or under the trees. The picnic basket contains a light lunch as well as a blanket to sit. You are welcome to order a bottle of wine to add to your picnic basket.
Rates are R460 per person for the horse trail and lunch/picnic basket
- Zulu Waters Horse Trails. Across the road in a private game reserve there are also great horse trail and horse riding opportunities. Ride with game including white rhino and buffalo. Horse trails are generally about 2 hours in length but trails of any length can be arranged
- Horse-riding at Spioenkop Dam and Nature Reserve. Spioenkop Dam and Nature Reserve offer riding in the bush amongst the game, including rhino, giraffe, wildebeest, antelope and zebra. It is easy to get quite close to these wild animals on horseback without alarming them and this is a treat not to be missed. Great for beginners and experienced riders. The tours start at 2:30 pm but you need to be there by 2:00 pm and are required to pre-book on the number: 0364881578
- Horse-riding with Drakensberg Excursions Drakensberg Excursions offer horse riding in the Drakensberg on sure footed, spectacularly colored Appaloosa horses. Trails are guided by experienced guides. The rides start at 10:30 am and take you about as high into the mountains as is possible. The views are breathtaking. But please note this is not for the uninitiated. You don’t need to be an expert but you must feel comfortable in the saddle. Contact Rick or Trisha 033 2677227 / 0829322255
- Ushaka horse trails Ushaka horse trails offer short trails of 1 to 2 hours to half day and full day trails in the mountains. Combination programs with mountain biking or hiking are also possible. This is a good option for beginners and experienced riders but best if groups are not mixed. You can choose between a 1-2 hour trail, a half day or full day trail. Contact Karl 0364681136 or 072 664 299.